Morton Plant's Historic Roebling Building Makes Way for the Next Century
CLEARWATER, Fla. (February 10, 2004) - In preparation for its 2nd Century Master Plan, Morton Plant Hospital has begun demolition of the historic Roebling Building. The building was named after Donald Roebling, inventor of the amphibious vehicle used in World War II and the first benefactor of the hospital.
"The removal of the Roebling Building marks the end of one chapter and the beginning of another," said Philip K. Beauchamp, president and chief executive officer, Morton Plant Hospital. The Roebling Building, along with three others, are being taken down to prepare for the construction of a new 148,000 square-foot building that will include a new heart hospital, five new open heart operating rooms, five new heart catheterization labs, and 100 additional private rooms. To conserve the hospital's history, several hundred bricks from the Roebling building are being saved for a future use.
The heart hospital is expected to be completed by the fall of 2005. The master plan also integrates all women's services into one center, and expands surgical suites, radiology and endoscopy services. Plans call for radiology and women's services to be completed in the fall of 2007.
At the corner of Jeffords Street and Fort Harrison Avenue, construction of the Donna and Wil Ptak Orthopaedics and Neurosciences Pavilion continues with the building of its parking garage. Morton Plant Hospital's new Orthopaedic and Neurosciences Pavilion will be home to a variety of services for the comprehensive outpatient care of orthopaedic and neurological patients and their families.
Established in 1916, Morton Plant Hospital is a 687-bed facility dedicated to improving the health of all it serves through community-owned health services that set the standard for high quality, compassionate care. Morton Plant Hospital is located at 300 Pinellas Street, Clearwater, Fla., 727-462-7000.