Morton Plant Names New Chapel in Honor of Founding Chaplain
CLEARWATER, Fla., (August 29, 2005)- Morton Plant Hospital named a new chapel in honor of Reverend Frank G. King, PhD., the former director of pastoral care at Morton Plant Mease. The new chapel, named the Frank King Chapel, was the inspiration of Rev. King and is a quiet, calming place for reflection or prayer.
Rev. King, who passed away on March 3, was the founding chaplain of Morton Plant's pastoral care program. During his 24 years of service at Morton Plant Mease, Rev. King built a pastoral care program that is often used as a benchmark by other health care facilities.
His influence extended far beyond the local community as well. In 1986, he was named the Top Chaplain in the United States and Abroad for his work establishing Volunteer Clergy Disaster Response Teams to provide pastoral care to victims of airplane crashes, chemical spills, hurricanes and tornadoes. In 1994, he was selected "Alumni of the Year" by The Methodist Theological School in Ohio and in 2002, Project Grace selected him as "Distinguished Person of the Year."
Established in 1916, Morton Plant Hospital is a 687-bed facility dedicated to improving the health of all it serves through community-owned health services that set the standard for high quality, compassionate care. Morton Plant Hospital has received numerous national recognitions for its quality of care including the Gold Seal of ApprovalTM for Primary Stroke Care from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and 100 Top Hospital Overall Quality of Care for four years. Morton Plant is one of only seven hospitals in the United States to be ranked in the100 Top Hospitals: Cardiovascular Benchmarks for Success Study for six consecutive years. Morton Plant Hospital is located at 300 Pinellas Street, Clearwater, Fla., 727-462-7000.