Prostate cancer, the most common type of urologic cancer, is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in men after lung cancer. The American Cancer Society estimates that there is a 1 in 6 chance that a man will develop prostate cancer during his lifetime. Prostate cancer tends to spread fairly slowly and outcomes are good when the disease is detected and treated early. Mease Countryside Hospital is committed to reducing the prevalence of prostate cancer and other urologic cancers in the Tampa Bay area by offering a comprehensive range of medical services, advanced treatments and support services.
Screenings & Diagnostic Testing for Prostate Cancer in Safety Harbor, FL
Screenings are tested that are performed when a patient is not exhibiting any signs or symptoms of a disease. Prostate cancer screenings offered at Mease Countryside Hospital include:
- Prostate ultrasound
- Digital rectal exam (DRE)
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test
- Imaging guided biopsy
Treatments for Prostate Cancer at Mease Countryside Hospital
At Mease Countryside Hospital, we have a highly specialized staff of medical oncologists, surgeons and other medical professionals dedicated to providing patients with personalized prostate cancer treatment plans. Your care team will guide you and your loved ones through each stage of treatment with compassion and respect.
Prostate cancer treatment may include:
- Hormone therapy – often the initial course of treatment for prostate cancer; prostate cancer cells require testosterone to grow, so lowing the levels of this hormone can often stop or slow the growth of the cancer
- Chemotherapy – drugs used to kill cancer cells; chemotherapy may be administered orally or intravenously
- Biologic therapy – also called immunotherapy or biotherapy, this type of treatment bolsters the patient’s immune system to help fight cancer
- Cryosurgery – procedure that kills cancer cells in the prostate by freezing them
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy – a form of minimally invasive prostate surgery
- Robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy – a form of minimally invasive prostate surgery
- Radical prostatectomy – removal of the entire prostate gland and some of the surrounding tissue
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) – procedure that trims away excess prostate tissue to alleviate urinary problems
Laparoscopic Surgery & Robotic Surgery for Prostate Cancer in the Tampa Bay Area
At Mease Countryside Hospital, we offer patients a minimally invasive alternative to open prostate removal surgery in the form of laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. With the assistance of a lighted, magnified scope, the prostate and some of the surrounding tissue is removed through a small incision (usually no more than three centimeters long) in the abdomen. This advanced approach to prostate removal greatly reduces the risk of infection, nerve damage, incontinence and blood loss. Patients are also able to recover more quickly and return to their normal activities sooner.
Another option for minimally invasive prostate surgery available at Mease Countryside Hospital is the robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy. Using the daVinci Surgical System, surgeons are able to get a highly magnified, 3D view of the surgical area for unsurpassed precision and accuracy. This helps to reduce the risk of damage to the nerves surrounding the prostate that affect urinary control and erectile function.
To find out if you may be at an increased risk for prostate cancer, take our 7-minute online risk assessment. For a referral to a board-certified oncologist, please call the BayCare Customer Service Center at (727) 462-7500 or find a specialist near you.