Most people are admitted to an IRF (Inpatient Rehab Facility) from an acute-care hospital. In some cases, individuals can be admitted to an IRF without having to stay in the acute-care hospital. Someone who is living at home, but losing the ability to perform daily activities, may be a candidate for admission. These individuals must meet specific criteria established by Medicare to be accepted into the program. If you wish to be considered for admission to the Mitchell Rehabilitation Hospital, notify the discharge planner from the acute-care hospital, who will contact us. To make a direct referral contact the Rehab Liaison at (727) 729-2254 or (727) 859-4970.
Patients are admitted 7 days a week. All referrals are handled promptly and efficiently by a team of dedicated admissions staff and our medical director.
Mitchell Rehabilitation Hospital Admission Criteria:
- 18 years of age and older with medical necessity for inpatient rehabilitation.
- Patient requires close supervision of a physician to manage medical conditions
- Patient has reasonable expectations for functional gains.
- There is a reasonable expectation that the patient will return home or to an Assisted Living Facility following the course of inpatient rehabilitation.
- Admission based on bed availability for the 20-bed unit.
- Patient must have the potential of participating in 3- 5 hours of therapy per day 5 days per week
- Patient must have the need for rehabilitation nursing 24 hours a day / 7 days a week
- Patient must require at least 2 interdisciplinary therapies
- Patient must not be ventilator/respirator dependent.
- Patients admitted must have diagnoses appropriate for an inpatient rehabilitation program such as: stroke, brain dysfunction, neurological conditions, spinal cord dysfunction, amputation, arthritis, major multiple trauma, hip fractures, bilateral total knee replacements, and other acceptable diagnoses as deemed appropriate by the Medical Director.
- Spinal cord injury - We accommodate patients with complete lesions at the level of C-7 and below.
- Traumatic brain injury - We accept patients with a Ranchos Los Amigos score of 6 or higher.
- Admission is also dependent upon our ability to remain in compliance with federal guidelines established by CMS (Medicare).
Mitchell Rehabilitation Hospital
Morton Plant North Bay
6600 Madison Street
New Port Richey, FL 34652
Maps & Directions