Hand & Upper Extremity
Morton Plant Hospital’s Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopedic Team provides specialized care for the hand, wrist and elbow.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Injuries or diseases of the bones, joints, nerves, tendons
- Congenital abnormalities
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Work-related injuries
- Wound management
Following evaluation, our patients receive comprehensive care plans designed to eliminate pain, improve range of motion as well as strength and restore function of the hand and arm.
Non-surgical treatments include:
- Heat, ultrasound, paraffin and cryotherapy (application of extreme cold)
- Resting the joint by avoiding any movement that causes pain. Occasionally, the joint may need to be immobilized.
- Whirlpool treatment
- Medications to control pain and inflammation. Cortisone, an anti-inflammatory medication, may be injected directly into the affected joint. Cortisone can be an extremely effective medication for inflammation and pain relief.
- An individualized rehabilitation program for pre- and post-operative patients
If other treatments have not proven effective, surgery may be an option. Our highly qualified surgical team has helped hundreds of patients with serious joint injuries to get back to normal daily activities.
For a free referral to an orthopedic physician, please visit our online physician finder or call (727) 462-7500. Or, if you are interested in learning more about our rehabilitation and physical therapy services, call (727) 462-7052.
Morton Plant Hospital
Ptak Orthopaedic and Neuroscience Pavilion
430 Morton Plant Street, Suite 101
Clearwater, FL 33756
Maps & Directions