Gynecological Cancer Support Services
Ensuring the Support You Need
Coping with a cancer diagnosis requires the support of family, friends, and those living with similar challenges. At Morton Plant Mease, we try to do all we can to help ensure that support is there for you at every step of your journey: when you are first diagnosed, as you prepare for surgery, while you're in the hospital, once you return home, as you undergo treatment, and after your treatment is completed.
- Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS)
- Support Groups and Programs
Cancer Patient Support Services: CaPSS
This innovative program is the first and only one of its kind in Pinellas County. Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS) helps cancer patients and their families cope more effectively with the emotional and physical changes resulting from a cancer diagnosis. The program offers the following services free of charge:
- Individual and family counseling by specialized oncology counselors
- Support groups for patients, family members and friends
- Relaxation and stress management, including QiGong (pronounced Chi Gong) training and massage therapy
- Cancer resource library
- Community Cancer Education
- Cancer Screenings
CaPSS is our commitment to treating the whole person - body, mind and spirit. For more information about Cancer Patient Support Services, call (727) 462-2125.
Many cancer support groups targeted specifically for women, young women, caregivers and Spanish-speaking patients meet on a monthly basis. Some of these support groups include:
- Cancer Patients' and Caregivers' Hope Group (patients and caregivers attend this group together)
- Cancer Support for Women
- Cancer Support for Young Women (women in 20s to early 50s)
- Hands for Hope "Chemo Brain" Support Group
- La Luna De Pinellas (for Latin women with cancer)
For more information, please download our support groups calendar from the Morton Plant Mease home page.
"Look Good... Feel Better"
Co-sponsored by the American Cancer Society, Morton Plant Mease hosts this free class for women undergoing cancer treatment. You'll be introduced to some useful makeup application techniques that you can use during your treatment. In addition, you'll learn about choosing a wig as well as some creative ways to wear hats and scarves.
Additional programs designed to help reduce stress and increase mind/body awareness include:
- Qi Gong (Chinese exercise method)
- Handcrafters' Circle (stress reduction through handcrafts)
For more information about these programs, please visit our Class Registration page or call the BayCare Contact Center at (727) 462-7500.
Camp Living Springs
Sponsored by Morton Plant Caring Partners, this is free three-day retreat for adult cancer survivors is designed to promote camaraderie, relaxation and shared experiences - all while nurturing the spirit.
Cancer Survivors' Picnic
The Auxiliary of Mease Health Care also sponsors a day-long picnic to celebrate cancer survivors and their families.