Preparing for your Hospital Stay
We want to make your surgery experience as stress-free as possible. In this section, you will find information that will help you prepare for your stay with us.
Once you have been scheduled for surgery, a Morton Plant Mease team member will call to verify your insurance information, schedule your pre-admission visit, and arrange for any needed diagnostic testing. This visit will take place approximately 7-10 days before surgery.
Even if you have had your laboratory work done elsewhere, we highly recommend that you come in for this visit. It will give you the opportunity to ask questions and to meet some of the people who will be caring for you. It will also allow us to assess and plan for your nursing and anesthesia needs.
When you come to the hospital for your pre-admission visit, please bring:
- All paperwork from the doctor's office
- Completed pre-anesthesia evaluation form including all medications, doses and previous surgeries
- Your medical insurance card
- A copy of your living will, health care surrogate or durable power of attorney (Advanced Directives)
- Wear loose-fitting clothing that opens in the front
We understand that you may be anxious about your impending procedure, and we will do all we can during this visit to answer your questions. We will discuss what you can expect when you come in for surgery, as well as what takes place during post-op and recovery. You will meet with a registered nurse and/or anesthesiologist, and at your request, a financial counselor can also be available.
Pre-operative patient instructions
When you come to the hospital for your pre-admission visit, you will receive a Surgery/Procedure Handbook. It will contain several important documents such as:
- Patient Rights & Responsibilities
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Pre-operative instructions
It is very important that you read these documents. It is also important that you follow the pre-operative directions to prevent delay or cancellation of your procedure.
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the night before your surgery. You may brush your teeth or rinse your mouth, but do not swallow.
- Take any necessary medications prior to your procedure only as directed by your doctor.
- Plan to have a designated, responsible adult drive you home after discharge.
- Drink extra fluids throughout the day before your surgery prior to midnight unless otherwise directed by your doctor. No alcohol.
- No smoking for at least 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Bathe or shower before coming to the hospital.
- Wear loose clothing. No jewelry.
- Limit visitors to two in the waiting area.
- Leave your suitcase in the car until after surgery if you are staying overnight.
Items to pack before coming to the hospital
- Non-skid slippers
- Loose fitting clothes to wear home
- Book or magazine
- Hairbrush, comb, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste
- Personal items such as a contact lenses, eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures and prostheses
Please leave at home:
- Valuable items including jewelry, credit cards, checkbook
- Prescription medications
Van service to the hospital
Free van transportation is available to and from our hospitals. Riders must be physically able to get in and out of the van without assistance and live within defined boundaries. To schedule a ride, call:
- Mease Dunedin and Mease Countryside Hospitals: (727) 734-6107
- Morton Plant North Bay Hospital: (727) 859-4730
- Morton Plant Hospital: (727) 461-8548